Modern video cameras can record high-quality footage but you cannot depend only on it. If you are looking for the best low light video cameras for 2021 which have a great video recording capability in low light then this article will help you. Today we will discuss some video cameras of various brands that have excellent service in low light. Let’s start!
Our Top Picks Best Low Light Video Cameras :
1. Sony A7S II
This full-frame mirrorless best low light video cameras is great for 4Kvideo and low light performance. Little bit more than $2000, this camera can build same results to camera system costing 10x more. It has 35mm interchangeable lenses that offer low light video in 4K at 30fps. With an f/4 lens, you can see with your naked eye in the dark.
Some feature of it is it has resolution 12MP which certify better light accumulation power and increase video quality, 5-axis image stabilization, impressive shutter speed, durable and compact construction, great ISO range, WiFi and NFC compatibility. So it is the king of low light camera.
- full-frame camera with 5-axis image stabilization
- fast and effective, enhanced fast hybrid af
- 12.2 megapixels 10 35mm full-frame exmor cmos sensor lens compatibility - sony e-mount lenses
- bionz x image processing engine ; clear image zoom :still/movie: approx. 2x
- in the box: rechargeable battery np-fw50; cable protector; ac adaptor ac-uud11; battery charger bc-vw1; shoulder strap; body cap; accessory shoe cap; eyepiece cup; micro usb cable
- Mounting type: Bayonet
2. Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S
The Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S is essentially the same as the GH5 before it. But if you take a closer look you will observe some major improvements in its imagining channel.
It especially focused on 2 major points: low light photography and videography.
The Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S can record 4K video at 60fps. It has a 10.2MP sensor which gives 14 stops of dynamic range and it’s perhaps the best low light sensor that’s micro four-thirds that we’ve seen yet. Its low light ISO performance is great, because of its Dual Native ISO sensor. Some features are good battery capacity, great OLED electronic viewfinder, great LCD and plenty of control. It also claims night mode that allows dim LCD and viewfinder separately delivers better focus in poor light conditions. The only con is it is quite bulky, so it a good option for the list of the best low light professional video camera.
- PROFESSIONAL PHOTO AND VIDEO PERFORMANCE: 10.2-megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor and a significantly higher photoreceptive surface per pixel deliver an ultra-wide dynamic range; Dual Native ISO provides ultra-sensitive video capture with impressively low noise
- RUGGED SPLASH/FREEZEPROOF DESIGN: Durable magnesium alloy body withstands heavy use out in the field and is freezeproof down to -10-degrees; Splash/dustproof construction with weather sealing on every joint, dial and button
- UNLIMITED IN-CAMERA RECORDING OF C4K: Capable of internal SD card capture of 60p50p 8-bit, 30p25p24p 4:2:2 10-bit, 4K: 60p50p 4:2:0 8-bit, 30p25p24p 4:2:2 10-bit; 1080p up to 240fps and C4K 60p VFR
- ANAMORPHIC VIDEO MODE: 4K Anamorphic professional video production interchangeable lens camera system enables high performance, durability and mobility
- CONNECTIVITY AND PORTS: TC In/Out/Synchro Terminal (via included BNC cable), 3.5mm mic jack with line input, 3.5mm headphone jack, 2.5mm remote socket, HDMI Type A Socket and USB-C 3.1 Socket; Available twin SD Card slots (UHS-II U3 compatib
3. Sony A7 III
The Sony A7 III is undoubtedly a great camera with excellent image quality in low light, brilliant fast performance with solid video features. It is not only an affordable model but also an aspirational item and probably most valuable camera in Sony’s model. It has 24 megapixel sensors. Its resolution is better than other full-frame cameras in the market for both low and high ISO shooting. 10 frames per second continuous shooting speed are excellent features for photographers.
Some other interesting features are weather-sealing, tilting, touchscreen LCD, 5 axis image stabilizations, USB charging facility, built-in WiFi and support NFC and you will get a 693 point autofocus system.
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI full frame Image Sensor w/ 1.8X readout speed
- 15 stop dynamic range, 14 bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800. Compatible with Sony E mount lenses. Can be connected via Bluetooth with smartphones featuring (as of the date of release)- Android (Android 5.0 or later, Bluetooth 4.0 or later), iOS (Bluetooth 4.0 or later)
- Up to 10fps silent or mechanical shutter with AE/AF tracking. Battery life (Still Images): Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor), battery life (Movie, continuous recording): Approx. 200 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 210 min (LCD monitor)
- 693 phase detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93 percent image coverage. Focus sensor: Exmor R CMOS sensor
- In the box: Rechargeable battery (NP FZ100), AC adapter (AC UUD12), shoulder strap, body cap, Accessory shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, Micro USB cable. Metering type: 1200 zone evaluative meter
4. Canon VIXIA HF M40
It is the best low light video cameras that can record up to six hours of quality video. It has a 1/3 inch CMOS sensor that captures 1080p HD videos. This camcorder has ISO 1250, which can capture excellent pictures in low light. It captures brisk and clear videos in poor light.
Some other excellent features are it is a combination of both automatic and manual control modes, compact design, it also offers image stabilization which helps you to click footage in a different situation.
You can also connect it with external microphones through its 3.5mm jack. Another important point is that it is quite affordable in the budget. The only cons are image is only limited to 2MP and mic enhances wind noise. So it a good pick up for the best low light video camcorder.
- 16GB internal flash drive and 2 SDXC-compatible memory card slots
- Genuine Canon 10x HD video lens
- Canon HD CMOS pro image sensor
- Canon DIGIC DV III image processor
- Dynamic SuperRange OIS corrects a full range of mot
5. Sony a6500
It is a great low light mirrorless camera in the market with a 2.96 inch LCD. It claims of a 24.2 megapixels APS-C Exmor sensor which allows you to adjust its light delicacy up to ISO 51,200.
Some excellent features are compress and lightweight design, fantastic 4K video resolution, 5 axis image stabilization, fast and reliable auto-focus. This has excellent noise resolution capability. It provides 11 frames per second continuous shooting to 269 frames. And lastly, its price is fair for the quality. So Sony a6500 is a nice pick up for the best low light professional video camera.
- 24.2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ advanced processing up to ISO 51.200
- Wide 425 phase detection AF points, Fast 0.05 sec. AF acquisition
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization steadies every lens. Silent Shooting. Noise Reduction :Long exposure NR: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal/Low/Off
- 11fps continuous shooting to 269 frames at 24.2MP w/ AE/AF tracking
- 4K movie w/ 2.4x oversampling4, full pixel readout, no pixel binn
6. Panasonic GH5
The Panasonic GH5 is a fantastic mirrorless camera which can capture excellent quality video in low light condition. It is compact, so easy to use and handling. It offers professional-grade video quality with the help of a 20.3 Micro Four Thirds sensor. This sensor provides a maximum of 12,800 ISO range.
Some other features are auto and manual exposure setting, boats of durable construction, autofocus in poor light, 5 axis dual IS system plus stabilization. It also has a high dynamic range and noise reduction capability. So if you looking for the best low light video cameras then Panasonic GH5 a good option.
- Professional photo & video: 20.3 Megapixel micro four thirds sensor with no low pass filter to capture sharp images with a high dynamic range and artifact free performance
- Splash/Freeze Proof Design: Freeze proof to 10 degrees the durable magnesium alloy body withstands heavy use in the field; Splash/dust proof construction with weather sealing on every Joint, dial and button
- Dual image stabilization: 5 axis dual image stabilization corrects all lenses, including classic lenses not equipped with O. I. S, to eliminate Blur and nearly eliminate body and lens shake in both photo and 4K video recording
- 4K video capture: Records silky smooth 4K 60P/50P (QFHD 4K: 3840 x 2160/ MOV or MP4) video with internal 4: 2: 2 10 bit 4K video recording, Plus exclusive 6K photo and 4K post focus records photos up to 60Fps
- Connectivity & Ports: 3.5 millimeter audio port, connect to devices with USB 3.0, an external monitor or external Recorder with a full size HDMI port; Available Twin SD card slots (UHS II U3 compatib
7. Sony Alpha a6300
This mirrorless camera will provide you excellent quality video in low light at a fair cost. Its design absorbs a weather-sealed magnesium body that augments its duration. It has one of the fastest autofocus categories. Its 24.2MP Exmor sensor helps to increase delicacy and reduce noise distortion.
Some other features are offered fast and continuous shooting, it has an electronic viewfinder, record video in 11 frames per second in 4k quality. It has high-resolution XGA OLED Tru-Finder for viewing improvement. So you can go with Sony Alpha a6300.
- Faster Autofocus: Shoot up to 11fps with 425 phase detection auto focus points and 0.05 sec AF speed
- Incredible Photography: Advanced 24.2 MP Exmore CMOS sensor expands sensitivity and minimizes noise
- Electronic Viewfinder: Cameras feature a high resolution XGA OLED Tru-Finder for enhanced viewing
- 4K & HD Recording: Record professional content with multiple movie functions and full pixel readout
- Compact & Durable: Dust and moisture seals protect the magnesium alloy body from harsh conditi
8. Sony RX100 V
The Sony RX100 V is a high-quality video camera which can record video in low light. It is a compact design, so easy to use and it has a first autofocus speed of 0.05 seconds. It can record video in 4K quality and deliver continue shooting up to 24 frames per second with AE/AF tracking.
Some other features are 315 A point coverage, 20.1 megapixels allow to captures high-resolution images, with superfast autofocus we can track fast-moving object, super slow motion mode also available. It records video at 960 frames per second and its maximum ISO range is 12,800. So overall is a fantastic option.
- ELECTRONIC VIEW FINDER: retractable Tru-Finder EVF provides sharp resolution, bright self-illumination, and high contrast to view shots and adjust settings through a ZEISS T* coated eyepiece.
- AUTO FOCUS: World’s fastest (0.05 sec.) hybrid AF system (contrast + phase) which is great for action and wildlife photography
- AF DETECTION: The most comprehensive phase detection coverage in a compact camera utilizing 315 Auto Focus points
- SHOOTING SPEED: World’s fastest continuous shooting speed at 24fps3 w/ autofocus and auto exposure tracking to ensure exceptional high-speed photography
- IMAGE SENSOR: 20.1 megapixel 1 Exmor RS stacked back illuminated CMOS sensor w/ DRAM for outstanding image quality and continuous shooting.Battery life(still images)(CIPA):Up to 330 shots / 165 minutes
- 4K VIDEO: 4K movie w/ direct pixel readout, no pixel binning and fast hybrid AF make the RX100V one of the best cameras for vlogging
- SUPER SLOW MOTION VIDEO: Up to 960 fps super slow motion movies
- OPTICAL ZOOM: 3.6x zoom to get the most out of your compact cam
9. Fujifilm X-H1
The Fujifilm X-H1 is one of the best low light professional video camera in the market with a maximum ISO of 12,800. So you can capture video in poor light conditions without worry about noise distortion. Its features are its quality construction makes it scratch-resistant, immune in water and dust, 5.5 stops in-body image stabilization, new high-resolution EVF, additionally has 1080/120P high-speed video mode.
It has a 100fps frame rate and delays a time lag of 0.005 seconds. Its VF resolution is quite smooth it can operate below 10o C temperature. The only con is it is quite bulky. So Fujifilm X-H1 is an excellent option for best low light cinema camera.
- 5.5 Stops In Body Image Stabilization. Compatible with all XF and XC lenses
- New High Resolution EVF Magnification ratio of 0.75x and 3.69M dot resolution. The VF display is extraordinarily smooth, with a display time lag of just 0.005 sec and a frame rate of 100 fps
- Comprehensive video features new external film Simulation ideal for shooting movies, f log SD card recording and 1080/120P high speed video mode (1/2, 1/4 and 1/5 speed)
- Flicker reduction mode and improved AF Algorithms. Use focus lock to focus on another subject at the same distance, then recompose the picture
- 25 Percent Thicker magnesium alloy body than X T2, increased scratch resistance and surface hardness, dust and water resistant properties, ability to operate in temps down to 10 Degree C/ 14 Degre
10. Nikon DF
It is an excellent camera that can perform in low light conditions. Its ISO sensitivity is maximum 12,800. This camera is an impressive, slim and sleek design. Its 16.2 megapixels image sensor paired with EXPED 3 image processing for shutters. It allows AF-D, AF-S and AF NIKKOR lenses to use.
Some other interesting features are excellent dynamic control, offers continuous shooting at 5.5 frames per second, 39 point auto-focus system with 9 cross-type points. Its wireless mobile adapter allows you to share clips. So Nikon DF is an excellent pick up for the best low light video cameras.
- 16MP full frame CMOS sensor
- 5.5 frames per second continuous shooting
- 39-point autofocus system with 9 cross-type points
- ISO100 - 12800
- 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dots
- 0.7x viewfinder with 100% coverage
- Raw and Raw + JPEG shooting
- Optional external flash via hot shoe or PC sync
- Wi-Fi compatible via WU-1a mobile adapter (sold separately)
- Collapsible coupling lever makes it compatible with all Nikon F-mount lenses, even non-AI
- Magnesium Alloy body with mechanical exposure di
11. Panasonic HC-WXF991
The Panasonic HC-WXF991 is an excellent best low light professional video camera that provides excellent footage and low light performance. It shoots video in 4K resolution mode and gives excellent poor light performance by the 1/2.3-inch sensor.
Its night mode uses IR (infrared) light to provide ‘night vision’. Its lens has a range of f/1.8 to f/3.6. Other features are 5 axis image stabilizations, 20x optical zoom mode, it has ‘twin camera’ on the flip flop display and show clip of picture in the picture box. There are also editing tools with built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity. So it is a fantastic option for the best low light cinema camera.
12. Sony FDR-AX33
The Sony FDR-AX33 is a solid value for a 4K camcorder with excellent low light performance. It can record videos at 24 and 30fps and can also record 1080p in 60fps. It has f/1.8 Carl Zeiss wide-angle lens and 1/2.3 inch black laminated sensor which challenges low light conditions.
The FRD-AX33 from Sony also has a NightShot infrared and IR lamp system, so it can perform in darkness. Some other features are high-end balanced (BOSS) optical image stabilization, which moves the whole block of optical basics and high-resolution clips. It cuts back on camera shake more adequately. So Sony FDR-AX33 is also a good option.
- Capture 4K/24P/30P video that far exceeds HD resolution
- Zeiss lens w/ balanced optical Steady Shot image stabilization
- Direct Pixel read out for smooth edges and color gradation.Iris Diaphragm:6 blades
- Manual control ring (Iris/shutter/exposure/white balance). manual Iris control: F1. 8-F9. 6, shutter speed: manual Iris control (photo mode) 1/30–1/10000
- Versatile shooting w/ XAVC S3, AVCHD and MP4 codecs
- 0. 27” EVF (201K) and touch screen 3 Extra Fine LCD (921K)
- 5. 1Ch surround sound mic w/ manual audio controls
- Automatically creates highlight7 video in MP4 from multiple clips
- Connect, control, backup and share wirelessly with NFC2/Wi-Fi
- Broadcast live From your camcorder using upstream live-stream
13. Panasonic HC-V770
It is a full HD video camera. Its backside illumination sensor is large and it is in the price range. The max breach of the lens is wide at f/1.8 and its pixels are bigger than many 4K cameras.
Some other useful features are fast autofocus, 20x optical zoom, great image stabilization, and image quality remain fine at dark. Its many features are similar to HC-WXF991. The main difference is ‘twin camera’ is executed. It can connect wirelessly with your smartphone and can use as a secondary camera. So Panasonic HC-V770 is also a great option for the best low light video cameras.
- 20X Optical Zoom: Long 20X zoom draws in the scene from far away; Compatible with Remote Pan Tilt Cradle (optional); The focal length is 4.08 to 81.6 millimeter; The still image is 1/2 to 1/2000 and the standard illumination is 1400 lx
- HDR Movie Feature: Exclusive high dynamic range feature suppresses blown highlights and blocked shadows for crisper and clearer videos camcorder
- Wireless Twin Camera: Wirelessly connect your smartphones video camera as a sub-camera for a picture in picture video effect
- 1/2.3 Inch BSI Sensor: The Back Side Illumination Sensor has a large effective area with 6.03M effective pixels, suppressing noise even when shooting in dimly lit conditions
- Remote Shooting/View: The Panasonic Image App lets you use a smartphone or tablet as a real time remote to control the camcorder from a distance; Wi Fi functions also enable real-time broadcasting or baby monitoring; IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- Viewfinder Type: Flexible Lcd
- Lens Type: Prime
- Image Stabilization: Image Stabilizat
14. Nikon D7500
It is a DSLR camera for low light which can record 4K video at 24, 25 or 30fps. Its APS-C sensor crops image by 1.5x and it has 20.9 sensors which make the image perfect in any environment. Its ISO range has 51,200 to 1,640,000, so it can offer fantastic footage in dark. It also has a 3.2 inch LCD touchscreen and 51 point autofocus system. WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity are also available here. So it is also a great pickup.
- Class leading image quality, ISO range, image processing and metering equivalent to the award winning D500
- Large 3.2” 922k dot, tilting Lcd screen with touch functionality. Temperature: 0 °c to 40 °c (+32 °f to 104 °f) humidity: 85 percentage or less (no condensation)
- 51 point AF system with 15 cross type sensors and group area AF paired with up to 8 fps continuous shooting capability
- 4k ultra hd and 1080p full hd video with stereo sound, power aperture control, auto ISO, 4k UHD time lapse and more
- Built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy connectivity through the Nikon snap bridge
15. Canon EOS 7D
The Canon EOS 7D can record 1080p video at 60fps mode. It has an APS-C sensor combined with dual D image processors. The EOS Canon has an excellent performance in night mode. It has a max ISO range of 51,200. Autofocus is a great feature. In the poor light environment, 65 points of cross-type autofocus can focus even down to -3EV. So if you want a 1080 video camera for low light then Canon EOS 7D is also a good pick up for you.
- 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- 8 frames per second continuous shooting
- 1080p HD video recording with manual controls
- 3.0 inch Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dots
- 19-point AF system (all cross-type)
- 100% viewfinder coverage
- 63-zone metering system
- Built-in wireless flash control
- Environmental sealing
- Dual axis electronic level
- 18.0-megapixel CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors for high image quality and speed
- Body only; lenses sold separately. Advanced HD movie mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates
- Intelligent Viewfinder with 100 percent field of view; 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors
- Capture images to CF Card Type I and II, UDMA-compliant CF cards (not included)
- Kit Contains: EOS 7D Digital SLR Body, Eyecup Eg (Not Shown), Wide Neck Strap EW-EOS7D, Stereo AV Cable AVC-DC400ST, USB Interface Cable IFC-200U, Battery Pack LP-E6, Battery Charger LC-E6, EOS Digital Solution Disc, Software Instruction Man
16. Nikon D5
It is a good DSLR camera for recording in low light. It is a pro-level cost and its size is bulky. But its low light performance is an excellent feature which makes it top rated. Its ISO range is 102,400 to 3,280,000, so it fabulous. Some other features are 1.5x crop, APS-C sensor, 20.8MP CMOS sensor, and 153 point autofocus. It offers 1080p video at 60fps. So it is a great pickup for the best low light cinema camera.
- 20.8MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 5 Image Processor
- 3.2 2.36m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps. CompactFlash (CF) (Type I, compliant with UDMA) XQD Type Memory
- Multi-CAM 20K 153-Point AF System
- Native ISO 102400, Extend to ISO 3280000
- 12 fps Shooting for 200 Shots with AE/AF
- 180k-Pixel RGB Sensor and Group Area AF
- 14-Bit Raw Files and 12-Bit Raw S Format
- Supplied With: EN-EL18a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-26a Battery Charger, USB Cable Clip, HDMI Cable Clip, UC-E22 USB Cable, AN-DC15 Strap, DK-27 Eyepiece Adapter, DK-17F Fluorine-Coated Finder Eyepiece, BF-1B Body Cap, BS-3 Accessory Shoe Cover, BL-6 Battery Chamber Cover, Warranty, Network Guide
- Supplied With: EN-EL18a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-26a Battery Charger, USB Cable Clip, HDMI Cable Clip, UC-E22 USB Cable, AN-DC15 Strap, DK-27 Eyepiece Adapter, DK-17F Fluorine-Coated Finder Eyepiece, BF-1B Body Cap, BS-3 Accessory Shoe Cover, BL-6 Battery Chamber Cover, Warranty, Network Gu
Also Read: Best Video Camera for Family
Types of Best Low Light Video Cameras :
The types of best low light video cameras are discussed below :
1. Point-and-shoot cameras
It is a very basic camera, which very easy to use. It can use by any who has primary knowledge about the camera. You point on the object need to shoot and the camera will automatically capture the clip. It is auto-exposure, automatic white balancing and auto-focus.
The previous camcorder has only allowed to captures footage and could play the recording on the television set. But now they are digital provide more features. They sort out the image stabilization problem. It required to shoots clip using hand. Others also come with HDMI output which allows you to connect them with an HD-TV.
3. Bridge cameras
It refers to ultra-zoom cameras. They provide you with a closer zoom. It is the combine feature of DSLR and point-and-shoot camera and they run on automatic functions.
4. DSLR camera
They are very popular due to their quality and functions. These have an interchangeable lens that allows you to adjust them to your recording time. They are affordable and friendly size.
5. Mirrorless cameras
They are excellent cameras with great video quality, interchangeable lenses and have lots of fantastic features like auto-focus and balanced performance. They are lighter and smaller than a DSLR camera.
6. Action cameras
They are normally small and lightweight cameras with fantastic features. They are suitable for outdoor events. You can wear them on your body. So action cameras are also very useful.
Things to consider while purchasing Best Low Light Video Cameras :
Before buying the best low light video cameras, we must think of some features and specifications. We should choose a quality camera for our requirements. So these are some necessary things we must look before purchase a low light video camera.
ISO previously referred to the film speed. It mainly calculated the delicacy of the camera’s sensor. But modern camera allows us to easily adjust ISO. A camera with great ISO is useful. Increasing ISO enables augment camera’s shutter speed, so you can capture an object in motion. The different camera has different ISOs and more ISO means more noise distortion. ISO determines your camera is capable to record video in poor light.
Noise is also an important factor. We know more ISO means more noise distortion. It makes a variation in color and brightness. So it can affect your image or video quality. You can reduce this distortion by using excellent noise distortion capability. You can also record videos at low ISOs by utilizing wider apertures.
In low light shooting, the aperture is also an important factor. It calculates the diameter of the camera’s lens opening. Wider aperture is capable to allow more light so it ideal for low light shooting. The different camera has a different aperture. When your camera lens is wide open, enough of an unfocused light ray could get in. it causes an empty depth of field, which implies that area front or behind objects are focusing on will be blurred.
4. Video resolution
For recording high-quality footage in low light, video resolution is an important factor. You must go with a camera whose video resolution is 1080p HD or 4K. Video resolution is an important factor for any kind of camera.
5. Sensor size
It is also a very important factor for any camera. The bigger sensor will offer better quality video. If you shooting video in low light then you must go with a full-frame video camera. They can capture a noise-free and crisp image. An adequate sensor size allows us to captures professional-grade videos. In a dark environment, a full-frame camera is best.
1 megapixel has 1 million pixels and it greatly affects the footage quality. It ensures how large your image can get without you having to enlarge it digitally. If you recording in low light then your camera should have a minimum of 12 megapixels.
7. Your budget
It is a very critical factor. Before you order or venture into the market you should keep in mind about the budget. Before purchase, you must study for your required camera in your below or equal range.
In this article, we discussed various categories of best low light video cameras for 2021. We research on these cameras deeply and gave information about them. There are different models and different price cameras are available. I hope this article will help you to buy a solid quality best low light professional video camera.
Also Read: Best Professional Video Camera for Sports