Without a proper microphone setup, any interviewing weather on a novice or professional level is very difficult. It makes trouble to break the quality of interviews. Today we will not only discuss the different methods which people use in the interview but also the best microphone for interviews and different models available in the market. First, we will go what we should be looking at and then we will pick our best mic for interviews 2021.
How To Find The Best Microphone for Interviews?
Some factors should be noted before picking the best mic for interviews. The first budget will deter you, so we discuss different types of each microphone. Next, the environment is also an important factor. If the surrounding is noisy then we must choose a noise-rejection microphone. So if you want to purchase a microphone you carefully must focus on these above factors.
Also, keep in mind, what will you be exactly recording on? Are you using a camera and need a microphone to hook up to it? Then take compatible mics. If you are using a smart device and need a smartphone microphone to capture the video? Or separately and will be syncing up later?
Different Types Of Microphone For Interviews:
- Shotgun microphones: These attach with an actual video camera that you use to record the interview visually. They join with video cameras up top and are skinny and long and they point directly at the interview. Most of these are compatible with DSLR.
- Lavalier microphones: These are tiny mics that clipped on people’s shirts. It is nice for non-disturbing style to interviews or to recording someone giving a presentation. Most are wired and hook up with the device. There is also a wireless system to record, either you plug it or use a separate device to record the answer.
- Handheld reporter style mics: These are mainly traditional-looking microphones that capture the interview.
Our Top Picks Best Microphone For Interviews:
With so much choice out there, it can be hard to make the right buying decision. That’s why we’ve put together this handy guide to the best microphone for interviews 2021 you can find today.
1. Rode Smartlav+ – Best Microphone For Interviews iPhone
The Rode Smartlav+ can be used to do the live broadcast of film sets, television, and almost all interview scenarios. This microphone is appropriate to record audio for broadcast in light and discreet format without extra wireless apparatus. Users can simply mount the mic into talent and connect with necessary devices such as phones, tablets, or laptops. It is more agreeable with the iOS apparatus which can use the Road Recording application for instant live recording. It can acquire sound from all directions because it equipped with an Omni-directional condenser capsule. Rode Smartlav+ is a wonderful option for interviewing.
- 60Hz to 18kHz
- iPhone and Android Compatible
- Use with Rode Rec App for Apple iOS
2. Sennheiser ME2 – Best Microphone For Interview Recording
The Sennheiser ME2 is a favorably small and vocally lasting microphone. Its quality is higher than Smartlav+ and its price is twice Smartlav+. It has mini-jack which includes bodypack transmitters that add on its brittle sound transfer, so if you invest a transmitter you can easily make it wireless. It can easily be closed with all kinds of clothing and it has high speech clarity for amplifying sound quality. When you purchase it a clip and metal windscreen are included in the pack. So combine all these features is one of the best microphone for interview recording.
- Omnidirectional electret condenser lavalier microphone
- Produces a sharp, clean sound with high speech intelligibility
- Easy to attach to clothing
- Discrete design is virtually invisible
- Compatible with the evolution wireless series, AVX, SpeechLine Digital Wireless, and XS Wireless
Let talk about the higher and final tier of lavalier microphones. In a busy and noisy environment such as any ceremony or anywhere you need to insulate your interview’s voice, Countryman B3 is one of the best microphone for interviews 2021. It is Omni-directional lavalier microphone which provides high occurrence acknowledgment caps and flexible for the various field. It can control background noise and ensure that you can record solid quality audio frequency. Another good feature is that one can adjust the talking style with capability at most 150 dB SPL and distortion is also maintained at low up to 140 dB. One can purchase it in different colors but white is popular. It can quickly fit with comfort and you can hide it among flower vase. It has been designed that you can hide when needed and look charming when observable.
- Omnidirectional Condenser
- 20Hz to 20KHz +/- 3dB
- 3-Pin XLR Hardwired Connection
- 9V to 48V Phantom
4. Rode VideoMic Pro – Best Microphone For Interviews Dslr
The Rode VideoMic Pro should be your go-to shotgun mic. It created such a way that you can use it with a DSLR camera. It is also lightweight. We are going to capable to record what it’s pointing at. It fitted with ½ inch condenser capsule that admits for self-noise of as low as 14 dB and contains a mini-jack connector is 3.5 nm that establishes a connection for mono signal outputs to the left as well as right channels.
The capsule polar pattern is prepared in such that it can decrease background noise. Another fine feature of this mic is that it has a two-step high pass filter with a flat rate of 80 Hz, a 9-volt battery with up to 70 hours usage time, optimized 3 position level control, a foam windscreen, shock mountain and a meager weight of 85 grams. So Rode VideoMic Pro is a very good choice and the Best Microphone for Interviews DSLR.
- Supercardioid Condenser Microphone
- 40Hz to 20kHz Frequency Response
- Low Noise and High Sensitivity
- 9V Battery Powered
- 1/8″ (3.5 mm) Mini-Jack Output
- Two-Step High Pass Filter
- Three-Position Level Control
5. Sennheiser MKE400 – Best Mic for Interviews DSLR
The Sennheiser MKE400 is one of the best options for the compact shotgun microphone. It is meant for use with cameras that contain an outer microphone input as well as a good shoe mount for added handling. It is very small but completely stable as its housing is made purely metal. During video recording, it provides maximum noise elimination from the side. It is flexible so its sensitivity can be adjusted to fit long and short distances. The wind noise filter is also switchable. Better yet, it also gets our vote as among the best mic for interviews dslr, especially from a value perspective.
- 40Hz to 20kHz
- Single AAA Battery (300 Hours)
- Coiled 1/8″ (3.5mm) Mini-Jack
- Integrated Shock Mount
- All-Metal Construction
6. Rode Reporter – Best Microphone For Interview Podcast
In presentation and handheld interviews Rode Reporter is one of the best microphone for interview podcast. It uses an Omni-directional dynamic capsule which helps users allowing a high level of freedom when in use. One can easily move its interview time without any effect on sound quality. As for its frequency response, the Reporter specializes in voice reproduction. So it offers excellent intelligibility and provides fine quality audio disregarding the environment. Another plus point is its rugged exterior. It is stable because it is made from aluminum combined with an anti-glare black finish.
- Omnidirectional polar pattern
- Broadcast recording presentation and interview microphone
- Tailored for voice frequency response
- Ergonomic die-cast body
- Multi-layer mesh basket for wind protection
The Sennheiser MD46 is one of the best reporter style microphones. It is largely due to its comparatively strong sound capabilities which feature Omni-directional use and low handling noise. We know Senny is one of the best brands for microphones. Through there is background noise it focuses on the subject of the interview. Other good features are vocal popping, the dynamic capsule gets rid of wind noise and allows for low handling noise. It equipped with a two-layer grille basket for best handling. However, there’s still no doubt that the Sennheiser MD46 deserves its lofty spot on the best mic for interviews outside list.
- Excellent speech clarity due to the optimized frequency response.
- Rugged and easy-to-handle microphone body.
- Good sound quality.
- Excellent suppression of handling noise.
- Two-ply sound inlet basket provides increased protection from wind and pop noise.
8. Electro-Voice RE50B – Best Mic for Interviews Outside
The RE50B by Electro-Voice is one of the best mic for interviews outside which commonly used in broadcast television. It previously used in an interview with some prominent figures from the loved POTUS to celebrities. Due to its rather massiveness nature, this mic has been tailored to defy deep weather conditions to include corrosive atmospheric salt, high levels of humidity, extreme temperatures, etc. It relies on an Omni-directional polar pattern and it is fitted with a ‘Dyna-Damp’ for comparatively low control of noise. Another good facility is a pop filter which prevents it from suspension occur by wind noise. So Electro-Voice RE50B is a good pick up if you have a higher- budget.
- Handheld microphone for interviews and broadcast
- Ultra-low handling noise thanks to built-in Dyna-Damp shock mount
- Built-in four-stage pop filter resists wind noise and pops
- Rugged and reliable for use in high humidity, extreme temperatures, and salty environments
- Includes a microphone stand adapter
The Rode i-XLR microphone adaptor is prepared for use alongside the iOS apparatus. Users take the full facility of this feature by connecting the microphone to a lighter adapter which records audible and clear sounds. Another feature is it contains a headphone controller with the ability to be cut down and allows for zero latency. Overall it is absolutely different spin to what an ‘interview mic’ maybe. It is easy to monitor, extremely flexible, compact and easy to use. Undoublty, it is also one of the best mic for interviews.
- High-quality digital interface for XLR microphones
- 3m shielded Lightning cable
- 3.5mm headphone jack with variable level
- 20dB pad switchable in app*
- Record status LED on device*
- Compatible with all dynamic and self-powered microphones
- Supporting app required
Also Read: Best USB Mic for Podcasting
The Rode RODELink Newsshooter Kit is a high-end wireless new generation microphone kit that is designed for use in a vast group of scenarios. It handles a series II 2.4 GHz digital system which contains a 128- bit coding with the capability to keep tabs of arriving frequency and toggle from one frequency to the other in pursuit of best performance. Its signal range is 100 meters so it can collect solid quality sound from a distance. It is good for one-on-one encounters and the need for major flexibility. It is adaptable on standard cameras by means of a belt clip or a 3/8 inch thread. Better yet, it also gets our vote as among the best handheld microphone for interviews, especially from a value perspective.
- Series II, 2.4GHz digital transmission.
- 128-bit encryption.
- Up to 100 meters range.
- OLED display (on the receiver).
- One-touch pairing.
- Five level gain control.
- AA battery, NP-F battery, or USB powered.
- Locking XLR input and headphone output on the transmitter.
Interviews can be done indoors or outdoors, planned or sudden, audio-only or video, conducted while sited or while standing. So we need a good quality microphone to perform the interview properly. There are different kinds of microphones that work differently in different setups. Most interviewers prefer using a combination of lavalier and shotgun mics with the latter acting as a backup for the former.
You must focus on your won setup and requirement and pick up the best microphone for yourself. We discussed a list of best microphone for interviews. I hope our list will help you to purchase the best mic for interviews.
Also Read: Best Wireless Microphone for Live Vocals