In this detailed article, we are going to help you on how to connect xbox 360 controller to pc without receiver.
The world of technology is evolving day by day and we get to see new things which we couldn’t have thought of. Connecting an Xbox 360 controller to your PC without receiver was a tiresome task as it required plenty of wires and cards to get your work done. However, nowadays this has become very easy with the introduction of Bluetooth and other methods in establishing the connection.
May your Xbox be old or new, you can now easily connect it to your laptop or desktop hassle-free. Here is a complete guide on how to connect xbox 360 controller to pc without receiver.
Plugin Your Wireless Receiver:
If your Xbox is a wired one then you needn’t follow these steps, just skip to the next section. This section is recommended only for those having wireless Xbox 360 controllers.
For your information, connecting the Xbox controller to a PC is not just plug and play. Firstly you need to buy a capable receiver and later run the proper setup wizard. We recommend you to go for the official Microsoft version that will cost more in comparison to other third-party versions. No wonder many third-party versions also work perfectly.
Once you get your hands on the receiver connect it to a compatible USB port of your laptop. A green indicator will lit up indicating a proper connection.
Install Software – How To Connect Xbox 360 Controller To PC Without Receiver?
Let’s move on to the next step that is installing the Software. From the Microsoft website download the necessary software or if you can use the bundled installation disc packaged with their receiver. This will help you sync the wireless gaming receiver with your Xbox 360 controller.
Follow the steps below
- Download the software or if you have the installation CD then insert it to the Optical drive of your PC. Restart your computer for the proper running of the CD
- As the on-screen wizard opens select the language and the version of windows you are using. (Your windows 7 drivers will also work for windows 8 and higher)
- When the download screen pops up click on Run and allows the Xbox 360 accessories setup program to install the files it needs.
- On completion of installation restart your PC
Syncing The Controller:
Users having a wired Xbox 360 controller can plug it in and move forward to testing the controller. One having a wireless Xbox 360 controller firstly connect it to the receiver plugged into your computer.
- Turn on the controller by pressing the Xbox guide button until the green backlight is turned on
- Press the connect button on the wireless receiver until it flashes green
- Press the button on the front side of the controller
- After a few seconds when pairing is done the receiver flashes solid green
- The X.Y, A, and B buttons on the controller also lit up.
- If you are facing problems go for the Microsoft support page on the internet.
Testing the Controller:
Once you are done with the installation and syncing the devices it’s time to test the controller. On the search menu of your PC, type “game controllers”. After that, you will get to see an option that reads Set up USB game controllers.
Now you are free to test it. Turn the joysticks, pull the triggers or even press all the buttons. If everything is working properly then all the actions you do on the controller are all recorded in the app on your PC. Your system reflects every button you pushed.
If you are unable to test it then we recommend you troubleshoot the controller and try again.
Start Playing – How To Connect Xbox 360 Controller To PC Without Receiver?
As you are all set now then move on to play whatever you want. Microsoft labels the Xbox 360 controller to default setup for almost all PC games. Most often you don’t even need to change your controls on the settings or set up key bindings.
Make sure to check your pairing before loading a game as any mistake will hamper your progress. The game won’t be able to recognise your controller. As said at the beginning of this guide technology makes everything possible, so some newer games also support quick controller change during gaming.
This was a handy guide regarding how to connect your Xbox 360 controller to your PC. We have discuss Step by step process in this article. Hope you find your solution and lastly enjoy your game. This was all about on how to connect xbox 360 controller to pc without receiver.